But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. Matthew 6:33

Thursday, May 7, 2020

My Report of the Lord



"For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life."
John 3:16 

We are all probably being overloaded with news reports right now. Even if we try to avoid it, we are still faced with bad news daily it seems. But this is my report of the Lord.  And it is good.



Overcoming the Propaganda of Fear

"So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."
Isaiah 41:10 

I want to help somehow in the midst of what seemingly the entire world is facing. I'm afraid the only thing I can offer at the moment are my thoughts. Which are many, and have taken me some time to piece together. My prayer is that my life will be a witness of God's faithfulness. And that by sharing what has helped me, it will help someone else. 

I have wanted to write something for awhile, but I've been pretty busy fighting my own battles lately.  It seems like that's how it works with me. I get lost in my own problems.  I have to wander in the valley for a bit. But in that valley is where I learn. I get to practice the things I've been taught. And I learn to trust Him even more. And if I stay faithful in the wilderness,  God reveals Himself to me in a new way. I think that's par for the course for most believers it seems. A roller coaster of highs and lows, faith and doubt, success and failure,  closeness with God and silence,  joy and despair. 



Fear is real to almost all of us. Especially now. Unfortunately,  I'm pretty familiar with fear. It has been my biggest foe my whole life. Even as a kid I would have to take Maalox to school with me in case I got a nervous stomach ache. And events in my young adulthood left me paralyzed by fear.  I had panic attacks.  I was afraid to drive at times. Afraid of the dark.  It seemed the enemy saw me as an easy target. But I remember reading the scripture one day that said, when I'm weak then I will be strong. And God's power is made perfect in weakness. (2 Corinthians 12) I believed it. I didn't want to be weak and afraid anymore. So I let God have my whole heart. I needed Him. He took over, and my life changed.  I did become strong because it was Him fighting for me.  But Fear is always a close enemy, and I still lose some of those battles. Even other people's fear have stolen things from me at times. It can be discouraging when worry gets the best of me again. And after almost twenty years of depending on God, it seems like an anxious heart should be a thing of the past. But I've learned that my moments of anxiety, fear, or doubt are not defeats.  As I continue to mature, I understand that these battles are part of the growing process. Like a farmer cultivates his fields to be stronger and healthier. So I get up after a loss and I keep going.  I keep trusting God. He is faithful and much stronger than any fear or doubt. 





What in the World is Going on?

"But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all."
2 Corinthians 4:7‭-‬9‭, ‬17

I have heard all sorts of theories of why this pandemic is happening. A satanic attack. The evil motivations of man. Judgement from God. A call to repentance. I'm not sure if we'll ever know the source or reason.  Or if we need to. We just need to stay faithful through it.  But if God really is in control,  why doesn't He just stop all this with one word? He could, couldn't He? I find comfort and an explanation in the "jar of clay".



I imagine if I was a literal lump of clay sitting on a potter's wheel,  it would probably not be fun to be spun around.  It would probably hurt to have strong hands press into me, shaping me into something else. But as a shapeless lump, this would be for my good. The Potter has good intentions.  He doesn't want me to stay a lump. He wants me to be a beautiful creation.  A jar maybe,  with a purpose.  To be filled with new wine, His spirit, living water to be poured out to others. The Potter delights in His creation.  

As an artist. I can relate to this imagery.  I have a vision in my mind of what I want to create.  And I don't spend time drawing or painting to cause pain to the paper or canvas.  But to create something beautiful.  To bless others and bring others joy through art. And it is fulfilling to see the vision I have in my mind manifest on paper. I imagine that is how God sees us. He delights to see us grow. We can trust that in the painful moments we experience,  we're being shaped into something beautiful -- the vision that God has for our lives. The process is a means to an end. And while it may hurt at times, we can trust that it is good because He is good. That's why we keep pressing on. We are in good hands. 

Maybe the whole world is sitting on the potter's wheel right now. Maybe, the Church as a whole is being shaped into something even more beautiful and purposeful than before. 




God had big plans for Joseph. To be a prince in Egypt. To provide for his family during a famine.  But life for Joseph was good in Canaan. He was a favorite son in a prosperous family.  Would Joseph have left everything behind to go to Egypt if God had simply asked? I'm not so sure. Maybe Joseph needed to spend some time on the potter's wheel -- in a pit and then in prison, to be able to hear God.  And be willing to do what God asked. 

So maybe the question shouldn't be, what is going on? But rather, what is God preparing us for? We can trust that He is good, and He sees the final picture. 


How Will We Get Through This?

Fix Our Eyes on Jesus



"We fix our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before Him He endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God."
Hebrews 12:2 

I found that during tough times, the best thing I can do is focus on Jesus.  Not what He can do for me or how He can get me out of something.  But just simply who He is. And likewise who I am in Him.  The book of John is a great source for this. All of the gospels are important.  And each gospel is written with a slightly different perspective and even a different audience. John is clearly written with the Church in mind, and for me evokes the most emotion. The gospel of John doesn't just explain who Jesus is, but also who we are in Him. Jesus is the vine, we are the branches.  Jesus is the good shepherd,  we are the sheep.  He is the bridegroom, we are the bride. When I read the book of John I feel like I'm spending time with a friend. Like Jesus is sitting across the table, expressing His love to me. Reminding me that I'm His. Asking me to abide in Him.

We need Jesus.  He is the Word from the very beginning, made flesh to dwell among us. (Jn. 1:1-3)  All things were created through Him and yet He is the Lamb of God who was sacrificed for His own creation.(Jn. 1:29) No matter what we're facing,  Jesus is the answer.

Are you in darkness? He is the light that cannot be overcome. (Jn. 1:5) Are you thirsty and unsatisfied? Jesus is the Living Water that never runs dry. (Jn. 4:13) Are you hungry for something more? He is the Bread of Life. (Jn. 6:35) Feast on His Word and live. Are you lost or scared? Jesus is the Good Shepherd who will find you and guide and protect you. (Jn. chapter 10) The Shepherd never forgets his own. He calls each one by name and nothing can snatch them out of His hand! Do you need guidance? He is the Way the Truth and the Life. (Jn. 14:6) Are you lonely? He is the friend who layed down His life for you. (Jn. 15:13) Are you grieving a loss? Take heart because Jesus is the resurrection and the life. (Jn. 11:25) Though we die, yet we shall live in Him. Do you feel unworthy? Jesus is the only begotten Son sent to save the world, not condemn it. (Jn. 3:16-8) We can trust Him completely. 



Keep Looking Up



"So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal."
2 Corinthians 4:18 

"Then I saw 'a new heaven and a new earth,' for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, 'Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and He will dwell with them. They will be His people, and God Himself will be with them and be their God. ‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’ or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”
Revelation 21:1‭-‬4 

"Then the angel showed me the river of the water of life, as clear as crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb down the middle of the great street of the city. On each side of the river stood the tree of life, bearing twelve crops of fruit, yielding its fruit every month. And the leaves of the tree are for the healing of the nations. No longer will there be any curse. The throne of God and of the Lamb will be in the city, and His servants will serve Him. They will see His face, and His name will be on their foreheads. There will be no more night. They will not need the light of a lamp or the light of the sun, for the Lord God will give them light. And they will reign for ever and ever."
Revelation 22:1‭-‬5 

So we keep moving forward and staying faithful.  Resting in Jesus and who He is. And holding onto a promise -- a promise of a bright future. Eternity in Heaven. Paradise.  The New Jerusalem. A new heaven and earth.  A place with no more suffering or pain or tears. This place is real. But how do we hold on to this hope in the midst of trial and tribulation? It can be difficult at times.

One of my favorite ways to define hope is "to eagerly expect". And for me, the best imagery for this is pregnancy. The first time a woman becomes pregnant is one of the most exciting moments of her life. I know. I'm a mom.  But you don't get your new baby right away. You have to wait. The child you hope for starts out as just a promise. But we eagerly expect this promise to come to pass. And it's not an easy nine months. There's morning sickness, which is sometimes all day sickness, which sometimes continues way past the first trimester. And then there's the heartburn.  Backaches. Swollen feet. Bloody noses.  Restlessness. Discomfort of almost every kind.  Sometimes even severe pain. Sometimes even complications.  But we endure all this because we have a promise.  We are eagerly expecting.  And we even endure all the discomfort with a smile and excitement. It seems bad now, but something good is about to happen. 



Is it possible to "glow" through our trials like an expectant mother? Shouldn't we have as much eager expectation for our promise of eternity? Heaven is just as real as a baby. More real, in a way. More sure. And even more exciting. 

How does a mother keep her joy through the difficulties of pregnancy? She thinks about her baby. She listens to the heartbeat.  Shares her excitement with friends.  Picks out names.  Imagines what her baby will look like and what it will be like to hold him or her for the first time. And we should do the same. Let's learn and think about heaven. Talk about it with friends.  Ponder what it will be like in our hearts. Imagine what it will be like to see Jesus and loved ones. I think that's why Paul says to fix our eyes on what is unseen and eternal. That's how we get through the momentary troubles. 

"Very truly I tell you, you will weep and mourn while the world rejoices. You will grieve, but your grief will turn to joy.  A woman giving birth to a child has pain because her time has come; but when her baby is born she forgets the anguish because of her joy that a child is born into the world.  So with you: Now is your time of grief, but I will see you again and you will rejoice, and no one will take away your joy."
John 16:20‭-‬22



Stay Close to Friends 



"Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their labor:  If either of them falls down, one can help the other up. But pity anyone who falls and has no one to help them up.  Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone?  Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken."
Ecclesiastes 4:9‭-‬12 

Sometimes we have to go through really scary things. You know, like worldwide pandemics. We've all heard that God has not given us a spirit of fear. That's true. But sometimes we need some help battling that fear or even loneliness. This is a scary time. It's in the valleys that we can see what a gift a mature Christian friend is. I have been blessed to have a few. Sometimes I encourage them. Sometimes they help me. Often we just simply strengthen each other.  A true friend will walk with you in the darkness and even help carry you at times. A friend reminds you that you're not alone.  And there is nothing wrong with not wanting to walk through something alone. In fact, we're not meant to. The Bible itself reminds us of that. Moses needed Aaron's help talking to Pharaoh. Joshua and Caleb strengthened each other as they faced giants. Barack couldn't go to battle without Deborah.  Ruth wouldn't let Naomi travel alone. David needed encouragement from Johnathan. Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednigo went into the fire together. Esther needed guidance from Mordecai. The scripture is perfect.  So these examples are given to us for a reason. I think to remind us of the importance of friendship and working together. God puts people in our lives doesn't he? Sometimes at just the right moment. My friend calls these "divine connections." We are mysteriously and eternally connected to Christ and each other. God wants us to depend on Him, for sure. And if we have no one else to turn to, He will always be more than enough for us. He is the Father to the orphan and the Husband to the widow. A constant friend. But I believe God also understands our need for human friendship and companionship. We are created in His image after all. He knows what we need and always provides. If you're lonely, scared, or worried. Talk to someone. We are the Church.  We are the body, and we are better together. 


Pray



"The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective."
James 5:16 

Last and maybe most importantly,  pray. Prayer refocuses our attention back to God, calms our anxieties, and takes our mind off ourselves. Prayer accomplishes things. My worry for others won't do anything for them. But my prayers will.

Often I pray little prayers throughout the day. Quiet conversations with God.  He is always with us, after all. But sometimes I want to spend a lot of time in prayer. I want to go in my "closet" and shed some tears and spill my heart to God. Do you know how I know prayer is powerful?  Because something as simple as talking to God can seem almost impossible at times. I like to pray. I enjoy it. I look forward to that time with God. And I can feel it strengthen me. But I will go in my room and close my door and my mind will draw a blank.  I'll try to start my prayer, but I can't. There's an invisible wall. For some reason I have no problem thinking about my grocery list or almost anything else. But I can't find the words to offer God.  This obviously is a battle.  And I just have to pick up my sword,  close my eyes and start talking. I have found that if I begin with simply praising God, that opens the way for the rest of my prayer. The wall comes down because God inhabits the praises of His people.  And the enemy has to flee.


 Laugh 



"A joyful heart is good medicine."
Proverbs 17:22 

Actually one more thing,  laugh. Laughter really is the best medicine.  I'm a person who carries burdens, and cries easily.  But I also laugh easily.  I find joy in the little things, and I'm thankful for that. Sometimes as adults we lose our wonder and lightheartedness. But it's okay to laugh. Even during difficult times. Especially during pandemics. We're expecting something good after all, aren't we? Smile, because one day soon we'll be in that new heaven and new earth with our King.

Go ahead , laugh. It's okay...







If you're someone who is still quarantined.  Or someone who just needs evidence of God's goodness and love, don't forget to look around you...

"The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above proclaims His handiwork. For His invisible attributes have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So that we are without excuse."
Psalm 19:1, Romans 1:20 





“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”
John 16:33 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment