But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. Matthew 6:33

Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Wake Up!





When I think about a great modern church leader, I think of Billy Graham. Even if you're not a believer you probably know who he is. He had a humble heart on fire for the Lord. He dedicated his life to bring people to Christ. As Christians we're called to be and do a lot of things. But sharing the gospel to those in need is definitely on the top of the list. Billy Graham was a great example for our generation. And I actually got to attend one of his crusades. I was in middle school and my church drove up to the city to see him and DC Talk on tour together. I'll never forget that night for a couple reasons. For one thing, I almost didn't make it. On my way to the church to meet up with everyone else, my dad stopped at Wendy's to get me something to eat: a junior bacon cheeseburger. I then proceeded to choke on the bacon while we were driving. My dad pulled over and smacked my back until I could breathe again. I'm not sure if that's the proper way to administer the Heimlich maneuver. But it worked. And I made it to the crusade. I don't think I realized at the time what a special and even historic moment I got to be a part of. I just know how excited I was to be at a concert with my friends. Still, I went down for the alter call at the end. I can't remember what was prayed over me. But I have to wonder if those prayers are still being answered in my life now.


Many years later, well just last year actually, I remember hearing a special news report : Billy Graham had passed away. I have to be honest. My very first thought was, "he was still alive?" My second thought was, "I think we must be getting to the end of the Church age." A couple days later Billy Graham's daughter, Anne Graham Lotz, spoke at his funeral. She said something similar. Here's an excerpt from her memorial message...

"Moses was the great liberator. He brought millions of people out of bondage to slavery, got them to the edge of the Promised Land and God took him to Heaven. God brought Joshua to lead them into the Promised Land to take them home. And my father (Billy Graham) also is a great liberator. He brought millions of people out of bondage to sin and gets us to the edge of Heaven, the edge of the Promised Land and then God has called him home. Could it be that God is going to bring Joshua to lead us into the Promised Land, lead us to Heaven and – you know what the New Testament name for Joshua is? It's Jesus. And I believe this is a shot across the bow from Heaven. And I believe God is saying: 'Wake up church! Wake up world! Jesus is coming!"

I believe it. I can feel it. When God starts to move, when He gets ready to do something -- we can feel it in our spirits can't we? Anne wrote later on in her blog how scared she was the day of her father's funeral. She didn't have anything prepared and didn't know what to say until she stood behind the podium. She believes that what came out of her mouth was a prophetic message from the Holy Spirit. I think so, too. As Christians, we have the Spirit of God living in us. I believe He can reveal things and speak things to us and through us. There have been several awakenings and revivals through the centuries. What I find most exciting is that even before mass media, sometimes revivals would happen at the exact same time in different places. Because God doesn't need TV or Internet to get His message out. He just needs willing hearts attuned to the Word and His Spirit.

So if we really are on the edge of revival -- if we really are in the very last days before Jesus returns, what should we do? When Daniel read the book of Jeremiah and realized the 70 year captivity was almost over, he didn't just sit around and wait. He did something. He prayed. It's a beautiful prayer (Daniel 9:4-19). He praised God and stood on His promises. Daniel acknowledged the sins of Israel and I asked for forgiveness and undeserved mercy. And he even asked the Lord not to delay much longer. Sounds like a prayer we should pray doesn't it? I believe Anne is right, the Church needs revival.

"While a true revival in its essence belongs only to God's people, it always brings with it a blessing for the other sheep who are not yet of the fold. If you drop a stone into a lake the ring widens continually, till the farthest corner of the lake feels the influence. Let the Lord revive a believer and very soon his family, his friends, his neighbors, receive a share of the benefit; for when a Christian is revived, he prays more fervently for sinners. Longing, loving prayer for sinners, is one of the marks of a revival in the renewed heart. Since the blessing is asked for sinners, the blessing comes from him who hears the prayers of his people; and thus the world gains by revival. Soon the revived Christian speaks concerning Jesus and the gospel; he sows good seed, and God's good seed is never lost, for he has said, "It shall not return unto me void." The good seed is sown in the furrows, and in some sinners' hearts God prepares the soil, so that the seed springs up in a glorious harvest. Thus by the zealous conversation of believers another door of mercy opens to men."
-- Charles Spurgeon

If we have to battle real spiritual enemies, if we have to be a bright light to a dark world, if we really are the last generation before Jesus returns -- then the Church needs to be awake, alert, prayerful, and prepared. I contemplate Anne Graham Lotz's words often. They motivate me. Maybe they'll do the same for you. "Wake up, Church!"



Some of my favorite quotes from Billy Graham --

"God proved His love on the Cross. When Christ hung, and bled, and died, it was God saying to the world, ’I love you."

"God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there."

"My home is in Heaven. I'm just traveling through this world."

“Knowing we will be with Christ forever far outweighs our burdens today! Keep your eyes on eternity!”

“It is the Holy Spirit's job to convict, God's job to judge and my job to love.”

“Tears shed for self are tears of weakness, but tears shed for others are a sign of strength.”

“Being a Christian is more than just an instantaneous conversion – it is a daily process whereby you grow to be more and more like Christ.”

“We say to our children, 'Act like grown-ups,' but Jesus said to the grown-ups, 'Be like children."

"Mountaintops are for views and inspiration, but fruit is grown in the valleys."


“Believers, look up – take courage. The angels are nearer than you think.”



“Awake, O sleeper, rise up from the dead, and Christ will give you light.”
Ephesians 5:14 

Will you not revive us again, that your people may rejoice in you?  Show us your unfailing love, Lord , and grant us your salvation.
Psalms 85:6‭-‬7

"Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord."
Acts 3:19 

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
2 Chronicles 7:14 

"The hand of the Lord was on me, and he brought me out by the Spirit of the Lord and set me in the middle of a valley; it was full of bones. He led me back and forth among them, and I saw a great many bones on the floor of the valley, bones that were very dry. He asked me, “Son of man, can these bones live?” I said, “Sovereign Lord , you alone know.”  Then he said to me, “Prophesy to these bones and say to them, ‘Dry bones, hear the word of the Lord ! This is what the Sovereign Lord says to these bones: I will make breath enter you, and you will come to life. I will attach tendons to you and make flesh come upon you and cover you with skin; I will put breath in you, and you will come to life. Then you will know that I am the Lord .’ ”
Ezekiel 37:1‭-‬6 

"The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.  But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything done in it will be laid bare.  Since everything will be destroyed in this way, what kind of people ought you to be? You ought to live holy and godly lives as you look forward to the day of God and speed its coming. That day will bring about the destruction of the heavens by fire, and the elements will melt in the heat. But in keeping with his promise we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, where righteousness dwells.  So then, dear friends, since you are looking forward to this, make every effort to be found spotless, blameless and at peace with him. Bear in mind that our Lord’s patience means salvation. Therefore, dear friends, since you have been forewarned, be on your guard so that you may not be carried away by the error of the lawless and fall from your secure position. But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and forever! Amen."
2 Peter 3:9‭-‬18 

But you, brothers and sisters, are not in darkness so that this day should surprise you like a thief. You are all children of the light and children of the day. We do not belong to the night or to the darkness. So then, let us not be like others, who are asleep, but let us be awake and sober. For those who sleep, sleep at night, and those who get drunk, get drunk at night. But since we belong to the day, let us be sober, putting on faith and love as a breastplate, and the hope of salvation as a helmet. For God did not appoint us to suffer wrath but to receive salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ. He died for us so that, whether we are awake or asleep, we may live together with him. Therefore encourage one another and build each other up.
1 Thessalonians 5:4‭-‬11

Be always on the watch, and pray that you may be able to escape all that is about to happen, and that you may be able to stand before the Son of Man.”

Luke 21:36 

No comments:

Post a Comment