But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. Matthew 6:33

Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Thy Word is a Lamp onto My Feet






Those of us who grew up in the 80's and 90's knew that "Thy Word was a Lamp onto our Feet." Thanks to Amy Grant. Even now when I read that scripture I start humming that song. If you're from a Christian home like me, then you also probably knew all the Bible stories and maybe even had some scriptures memorized. You probably had people your whole life tell you to read the Word. Your parents, Sunday school teachers, and pastors all told you to. I did at least. And I listened to them. I tried to sit down and read the Bible. Except every time I did, it went in one ear and out the other. I might as well been reading a foreign language. I didn't understand it. But I was a Christian, how could I not understand the Bible? Was there something wrong with me? Still, I took my Bible with me everywhere -- on vacations, to college, when I moved away from home. Maybe I didn't always read it, or understand it, or practice what it said. Most of the time I didn't even open it. But somehow, I knew I needed it. I felt better when it was with me.


You know that "pit" I mentioned in an earlier post. Well I was at very bottom of it one day, and I was feeling especially bad for myself. I was depressed and scared. I felt hopeless. I felt lost. Through my tears I looked over and saw the Bible sitting on my bed -- the one I took with me everywhere but never read. Well, that Bible at that moment called out to me. It didn't really glow, but it almost seemed to. A voice rose up from the inside of me telling me that the answer to all my problems was in that book. I didn't know how I would get there, but I knew that voice was right. I said "Okay, God. I'm going to read your Word every day until I find some answers." And I did. At first, just like always, none of what I read made sense. But little by little I started to understand -- until one day I realized that I couldn't leave the house in the morning before reading the Bible. I couldn't go to bed at night before reading the Bible. I looked forward to it. I turned down activities with friends to stay home and read it. I was healing. I was happy. I was at home in His Word! Then one day I fell to my knees and sobbed uncontrollably. I understood who I was -- a sinner. But I also understood who Jesus was and what He did for me. He had washed me clean. He had taken that broken mess that I was and gently put me back together. And I felt His love. It was real and tangible. That voice I heard just months ago was Jesus calling me to Himself. And I am so glad I listened.


And so began my love for God's Word. That first mountain top experience lasted a year or so. But life gets busy and things fall by the wayside. Throughout the last couple decades I have had times of neglecting the Word but I've also had times of faithfulness and revelation and closeness to God. I have to admit that although I had read most of the Bible through the years, I had not read all of it. But just this past year I read the whole Bible in it's entirety. Even Leviticus. Even Ezekiel. I learned some new things about God and His Church and myself. The Bible never gets old. It's never irrelevant. But it does always restore the soul. And I don't know if I could live without it.



So, you're here reading my words. But my intention is to point you to His Words. And I shared all this because I want you to know that it's never too late to start reading. You're never too far away to be able to understand. God will meet you where you are and light your path. You're never too broken to be put back together. The best answer is always in the Bible. Even if it takes some time to find it. Whether you've spent you're whole life reading the Word or you've never once opened the pages, God's Word has something for you. His Words are Spirit and they are Life. If God was calling me, then He's calling you too. Go -- see what He has to say.


So what does God's Word say about God's Word?


**Jesus is the Word made flesh.**


"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it. The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth."

John 1:1‭-‬5 & 14


**The Word is alive.**

"For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart."

Hebrews 4:12 


**The Word lights our way.**

"Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path."

Psalms 119:105 


**The Word is our sword in battle.**

"Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand... Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God."

Ephesians 6:13,17 


**Obeying God's Word brings blessings.**

"Blessed are those who hear the word of God and obey it."

Luke 11:28 


**God's Word is perfect.**

"As for God, His way is perfect: The Lord ’s word is flawless; he shields all who take refuge in him."

Psalms 18:30 


**God's Word accomplishes what it's meant to.**

"As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater,  so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it."

Isaiah 55:10‭-‬11 


**God's Word nourishes.**

"Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God."

Matthew 4:4 


**God's Word cleanses.**

"...cleanse by the washing with water through the word."

Ephesians 5:26


**God's Word brings life.**

"The Spirit gives life; the flesh counts for nothing. The words I have spoken to you—they are full of the Spirit  and life."

John 6:63 


**Faith comes from hearing the Word.**

"Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word about Christ.

Romans 10:17 "


**We must act on the Word we hear.**

"Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like someone who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like."

James 1:22‭-‬24 

"Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock."

Matthew 7:24 


**Not knowing the Word could bring destruction.**

"My people are destroyed from lack of knowledge."

Hosea 4:6 


**God's Word sets us free.**

"If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples.  Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

John 8:31‭-‬32 


**God's Word lasts forever.**


"The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of our God endures forever.”

Isaiah 40:8 

"Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away."

Matthew 24:35



No comments:

Post a Comment